The Kitchen in Progress

It's a mess. That's all there is to it. HA. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel though! What we did thus far is paint the cabinets. Added a new working fridge, new faucet, new knobs, and cleaned like crazy. We also changed the lights, but I am ready to move them to another part of the house. They just do not provide enough light for the kitchen although the Mr loves it. I tried regular bulbs, but the glare was too much. I then used these and they work great just not for here. They will move to the office and upstairs hallway. Now I am on the hunt for new lighting. The ceiling is lower in here so with the Mr's tall height I can only get something that is 12" max. I am thinking something with brass maybe and they have to be relatively cheap since this is a rental. Have you seen anything??? I really am stumped.

TWOELLIE.CASACOLDIRONINPROCESS (9 of 21).jpg
TWOELLIE.CASACOLDIRONINPROCESS (11 of 21).jpg

In a moment of needing to feel "finished" we hung the botanicals that once hung in the master. I am not sure if they will stay here or not. We also came to a conclusion that a small table with chairs just won't fit here. Boo. For now a bench that I bought in Atlanta while out with Tiffany and Marianne lives here.

TWOELLIE.CASACOLDIRONINPROCESS (10 of 21).jpg

This built in piece may be my favorite. I became all teary eyed putting my grandmothers ironstone away. Just thinking the year of the house matches her life made me melt. I obviously need to install the door magnet closer doohickies so the cabinets actually stay shut.

TWOELLIE.1406645578.245759.IMG_5471.JPG

This may make me most happy. As you walk into the back door the floor rotted out. It was pulled out and we were left with quite a hole. We then discovered this 20 something year old tile is no longer in existence at 12.5". One day we hope to remove the whole floor and rebuild, but that's not a nearby project. In the meantime we needed a solution. After much thought I decided that this 1931 house at one time could have had a vestibule of sorts so I tried to create that feel. Kind of as if the walls had just been removed and this was what we were left with. The up side is that the pattern helps distract from the rest of the not so fabulous floor. HA.

bottom cabinets: Seal by Martha Stewart {mixed by Benjamin Moore}

top cabinets: talc by Martha Stewart {mixed by Benjamin Moore}

walls: talc by Martha Stewart from Home Depot mixed with Behr paint and primer in one

Knobs: Lowes

Faucet: Delta {bought on sale}

washer and dryer: LG

stool: serena and lily

* where it all began.